Kanien’kéha Ratiwennahní:rats Adult Immersion Program
Starting in 2002, the Kanien’kéha Ratiwennahní:rats Adult Immersion Program has offered community members an opportunity to reconnect to their language and culture. As one of our key educational endeavors, Kanien’kéha Ratiwennahní:rats has proved to be an effective endeavor to revitalize the Kanien’kéha language in Kahnawà:ke.
In June of 2008, a milestone was accomplished whereby Kanien’kehá:ka Onkwawén:na Raotitióhkwa Language and Cultural Centre graduated fourteen (14) adult learners from a two (2) year intensive community-based Adult Language Immersion training program that teaches Kanien’kéha language as a Second language program and incorporates traditional cultural knowledge in the program curriculum activities.
The primary objectives of this program are:
- To provide students with basic understanding of Kanien’kehá:ka traditional cultural teachings delivered within the context of language learning (Creation Story, Ohén:ton Karihwatéhkwen).
- To increase student’s linguistic and literacy skills and abilities by learning basic grammatical structures and writing systems.
- To build language fluency capacity through a variety of teaching methods and practical applications.
- To prepare and increase employability of community participants.
- To increase the resource pool of proficient Kanien’kéha speakers as per Kahnawake’s Language Law - Kaianerenhserón:ni Ne Onkwawenna’ón:we Aónston ne Kahnawake.
Successful Outcomes of the Kanien’kéha Ratiwennahní:rats Adult Immersion Program
- June of 2008, graduated 14 Adult learners who have increased their oral proficiency and literary abilities in Kanien’kéha and have increased their traditional cultural knowledge as well.
- Increased Kahnawake’s employability rates whereby several graduates of this program have successfully pursued careers in the teaching field of Kahnawake’s school system; and have found employment as Kanien’kéha language media journalists for Kahnawake’s local media outlets.
- Increased the human resource pool of proficient Kanien’kéha language speakers as Kahnawake’s Language Law.